- The agency says the investigation started by the Kano State House of Assembly would interfere with its own probe
- Chairman of the agency Muhyi Gado says the suspension of the probe is indefinite
- A source however said the probe could be re-initiated if the lawmakers allowed it
Emerging reports say that the Kano State Public Complaints and Anti-corruption Commission has dropped its probe into the financial dealings of the Emirate council.
Premium Times reports that the Kano state anti-graft agency was investigating alleged misuse of N6 billion by Muhammadu Sanusi II’s Emirate Council.
The development was revealed by the chairman of the Commission Muhyi Gado, who said the commission was suspending the probe it started some days ago indefinitely.
A source claimed that the suspension dropped its probe because is saw the fresh investigation initiated into the same matter by the Kano State House of Assembly as interference.
The source said: “We are not happy with the coming in of the House of Assembly into this matter and we cannot continue doing the same thing with them; that is why we allowed them to do it themselves.
“You see many would rather see the House interference as purely political while our own has nothing to do with that. We do things professionally according to the dictate of laws.”
According to the source, the anti-graft Commission would continue with the probe if the lawmakers permitted it to.
NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Emir Sanusi II had reportedly hired prominent lawyers to prevent his removal from his position as monarch.
According to the report, Sanusi has set up a legal team made up of at least three Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SANs) and other lawyers.
The reports said that the legal team were already working on legal applications that are set to be filed in Kano High Court today, Wednesday, May 11.
Watch this NAIJ.com TV video of Emir Sanusi lambasting the Nigerian leadership for not showing any evidence that it is fighting corruption