- Aisha Alhassan, minister of women affairs and social development says that parents of the recently released 82 girls have been contacted
- The minister says the girls are undergoing rehabilitation and reintegration in medical facilities in Abuja
- Presidential media adviser Garba Shehu also said the federal government is making a conceited efforts to send the 21 of the Chibok girls back to school
Presidential media adviser, Garba Shehu on Thursday May 11 said the just released 82 Chibok girls are currently undergoing medical and psychological treatment that should last two to three weeks.
The Nation reports that Shehu said government is preparing the girls to go back to school in September because they have lost so much academically.
According to him, not all the 103 so far released would go back to school but 21 out of them.
He also said that the parents of the Chibok girls were free to visit them at any time because the federal government will never prevent them from seeing their daughters.
Aisha Alhassan, minister of women affairs and social development also said that more Chibok girls are to be released soon in another swap deal with Boko Haram terrorists.
NAIJ.com gathered that the minister made this known in Abuja.
“Negotiations are ongoing to exchange the remaining girls with Boko Haram detainees. We can’t afford to keep them any longer,” she said.
The minister, who condemned insinuations that the federal government had been shielding the parents and the media from having access to the girls, said there was the need for the girls to be taken through a process to relieve them of the trauma of their captivity.
She said: “Most of them were having nightmares some days after they were released. We need to keep them away from the media for some time to avoid some questions that they might be asking them, we are not keeping or hiding them.
“We are not shielding the girls from their parents. The parents of the recently released 82 girls have already been contacted and they will be in Abuja any moment from now.
''Most of them live in villages very far from Chibok, so it will take some time before they can get to Abuja.
“The 21 girls initially said they won’t like to go back to school in Chibok but after the various rehabilitation and reintegration process they have gone through, they are now set to return to school in September; they are now fit and eager to go back to school.
“The girls have gone through a lot of reintegration process that will make them fit to return to school.
''They are now medically fit, they have gone through various vocational skills, including ICT training; their parents are always in touch with them.
“I always take them to movies and parks during weekend. They are now fit to return home but we must ensure that they forget all the traumatic experience they passed through while in the bush before they can go back to Chibok,” she said.
NAIJ.com recalls that vice President Yemi Osinbajo said negotiations were ongoing for the release of more Chibok schoolgirls still in the custody of the Boko Haram terrorists.
Osinbajo also expressed optimism on Tuesday evening, April 11 at an interaction with journalists and activists at the state house in Abuja, that the dialogue would yield the desired result in due course.
Watch this NAIJ.com Video Tv in which Ester Yakubu, mother of one of the kidnapped Chibok girls, Dorkas, believeed that Nigerian government was not empathetic enough: