- Alhassan says negotiation for the release of the remaining abducted Chibok girls is on-going
- However, she was quick to note that she cannot say when the girls will be released
- She says the 82 girls released recently were undergoing medical screening, and would afterwards go for psychosocial therapy
The federal government on Thursday, May 11, renewed its resolve to negotiate for the release of the over 80 remaining abducted Chibok schoolgirls and other captives.
This was disclosed by Aisha Alhassan, the minister of Women Affairs and Social Development at a media briefing in Abuja, NAN reports.
She said: “We cannot say when the girls will be released, if they will release the remaining girls for their members we will gladly do that and we don’t regret our actions.
“If we have our way, the girls will be released tomorrow but negotiation is still ongoing for the remaining abducted girls.”
Alhassan explained that the 82 girls released recently were undergoing medical screening, and would afterwards go for psychosocial therapy and refresher courses to facilitate their quick reintegration into the society.
She noted that the pictures of the 82 girls had been sent for their parents to confirm their identification as some have similar names.
She said: “It is not true that we are not allowing the parents to see their children; we allow them access but not every day.
“Most of them prefer to be here because they don’t want to be reminded of their experiences having to go to their community.
“Those saying we are not allowing them access are not the direct parents of the girls; we cannot bring anybody to see them apart from their biological parents, allowing visitors everyday will not allow them to heal fast.”
She said allowing unnecessary visits would jeopardise the release of the remaining girls and other captives.
Alhassan said there was need to help the girls forget the trauma they experienced from the bush.
She said all the girls would resume the new academic session in September, including the recently released 82 Chibok girls, adding that they will undergo skill acquisition and ICT.
She said: “The other girls released earlier have been undergoing some teachings in Biology, Civic Education, English, Mathematics and Geography pending the time they will resume school.
“The 82 girls who will undergo medical screening and psychosocial therapy will also join in the new academic session.”
According to her, the first 24 girls released were in bad shape before they underwent two months screening.
The minister added that a team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and a doctor were available to attend to the girls.
Alhassan said the girls were given adequate care by the federal government to enable them live a normal life.
Earlier, NAIJ.com reported that the 82 abducted school girls released by Boko Haram at about 7.04pm on Sunday, May 7, arrived the Presidential Villa in Abuja to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari.
The 82 girls were released on Saturday, May 6, after a successful negotiation with a team representing the Nigerian government.
Some details of the negotiation involved in the release of 82 more Chibok girls by the dreaded Boko Haram terrorists have been released.
It was gathered that two combined team of military and Red Cross negotiators involved in the negotiation, flew two Boko Haram commanders to Banki town in Borno state in exchange for the girls, while the Nigerian army took custody of the girls who were handed over by Boko Haram representatives.
Meanwhile, watch this touching NAIJ.com TV video of child survivors of Boko Haram activities in the northeast narrating their ordeal.