• 365

    USD/NGN

CBN finally speaks on N13b seized by EFCC as Jonathan keeps mum

CBN finally speaks on N13b seized by EFCC as Jonathan keeps mum

- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has spoken on the N13bn recovered by EFCC in Lagos

- But former President Goodluck Jonathan has refused to clear the air on the allegation

- EFCC had on Wednesday 12 seized N13b from an Ikoyi apartment in Lagos state

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has finally cleared air on the controversial N13b recovered by Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) in an Ikoyi apartment in Lagos state.

But despite claims by the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) that he approved and released the massive stash of cash recovered by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) from an apartment in Ikoyi, Lagos, former President Goodluck Jonathan has remained silent on the matter, Premium Times reports.

READ ALSO: More trouble as documents allegedly reveal how APC whistleblower‘s secret companies laundered billions for Abacha

NAIJ.com gathered that the former president’s spokesperson has for days declined requests to state Mr Jonathan’s side of the story.

CBN finally speaks on N13b seized by EFCC as Jonathan keeps mum

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele

Operatives of the EFCC, acting on a tip-off on Wednesday, said they found $43,449,947, £27,800 and N23, 218,000 hidden inside an apartment at Osborne Towers, Ikoyi.

The funds are valued at N13 billion based on prevailing exchange rate set by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

The EFCC circulated photograph and video footage of the operation, sparking nationwide outrage.

But the anti-graft agency has so far failed to disclose ownership of the recovered funds.

As Nigerians and civic groups demanded clarification about the recovered cash, sources in the presidency quoted the NIA Director General, Ayodele Oke, as telling President Muhammadu Buhari that Mr Jonathan released the money to the agency for covert security projects.

But Mr Jonathan has remained silent despite requests by our reporter for him to speak on the matter.

For two days, repeated telephone calls, text messages and email enquiries to the former president’s spokesperson, Ikechukwu Eze, were neither answered nor returned.

The presidency is also yet to officially comment on the matter.

CBN was not sure it paid Ikoyi billions to NIA

When contacted, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said it was not sure, as at Saturday April 15 that the recovered billions, in mint fresh notes, moved directly from the bank to the NIA.

The security agency had claimed that it received the funds directly from the CBN.

READ ALSO: Emir Sanusi reveals why he allegedly supported his daughter for slapping a man

But when contacted by Premium Times to clarify its role in the disbursement of the funds, the CBN spokesperson, Isaac Okorafor, said, “It is true the Central Bank of Nigeria issues mint fresh notes, but it is only to banks.

“After that (issuance to banks) CBN does not know which of their customers they (the banks) give those notes to and for what purpose.

“I cannot say if the notes the NIA is claiming came from the CBN. So, I will not be able to answer questions on it for now, except I receive a specific request.”

In this NAIJ.com video, a former NNPC GMD Andrew Yakubu appears in court over fraud allegation, watch it:

Related news

President Buhari has been on life-support for 22 days in London hospital - Fayose

President Buhari has been on life-support for 22 days in London hospital - Fayose

President Buhari has been on life-support for 22 days in London hospital - Fayose
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel