Governor gives reason for not disclosing Paris club funding

Governor gives reason for not disclosing Paris club funding

- The Adamawa state government has said it will not disclose details of its expenditure of the Paris Club Fund received from the federal government in December 2016

- The secretary to the State Government Buba Bindir said Adamawa state is not bound by the FOI Act

- An indigene of Adamawa had asked the state government to make available details of how it utilized the state's portion of the Paris Club Fund

- Gengele in his letter also gave the government a seven-day ultimatum to provide the information requested

Governor gives reason for not disclosing Paris club funding

An indigene of Adamawa had asked the state government to make available details of how it utilized the state's portion of the Paris Club Fund

The Adamawa state government has said it will not disclose details of its expenditure of the Paris Club Fund received from the federal government in December 2016.

The state government in a response to a Freedom of Information Request made Aliyu Gengele of Anguwan Fada in Mayo Belwa local government are of the state, the secretary to the State Government Buba Bindir said Adamawa state is not bound by the FOI Act.

READ ALSO: JUST IN: Buhari makes 7 HUGE appointments (SEE LIST)

In his letter dated April 4, Gengele asked the state government to make available details of how it utilized the state's portion of the Paris Club Fund.

The letter titled: "Freedom of Information Request on Paris Club Funds Implementation in Adamawa State," called on the Adawama state government to provide documentation of how the first tranche of the Paris Club Fund was disbursed and how much is expected from the federal government in the next payment.

Gengele in his letter also gave the government a seven-day ultimatum to provide the information requested.

He said the request made was occasioned by the controversies surrounding the deployment of the first tranche of funds released by the Federal Government.

"In line with the recent news by the Federal Government to release the second tranche of the Paris Club refunds and the unfolding controversies surrounding the usage of the first tranche of funds released, which has led to the Federal Government setting up new guidelines for the release of subsequent funds," Gengele said.

READ ALSO: BREAKING:Terror attack as truck rams into a group of pedestrians in Sweden, many casualties

But in its response, the state government dismissed Gangele's request.

Bindir said the state is not under any obligation to provide the information requested by Gengele.

He said: "Since your request is based on Freedom of Information Act 2011, I regret to inform you that we are not obliged to comply since the Act has not been domesticated in Adamawa State and therefore, of no effect and cannot be enforced, please."

"For effect and in the expression of glee, the government letter concluded with "over and out"." the state government added.

Recall that the Enugu state had earlier disclosed that a committee will disburse N3.9 billion has been set up.

The Enugu state commissioner of labour and productivity Emeka Okeke said that 25% of the funds received by the state is for the clearance of pension while the remaining 75% will be used for the clearing the backlog of salaries out workers in the state.

Watch this NAIJ.com video of Emir Sanusi blasting Nigerian leaders below:

Source: Naij.com

Related news
Nigerian army arrests physically challenged Boko Haram informant, kills 2 terrorists

Nigerian army arrests physically challenged Boko Haram informant, kills 2 terrorists

Nigerian army arrests physically challenged Boko Haram informant, kills 2 terrorists
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel