Despite recession, Nigeria’s airports recorded 15.2 million passengers in 2016 - NBS

Despite recession, Nigeria’s airports recorded 15.2 million passengers in 2016 - NBS

- National Bureau of Statistics in its recent release says numbers of passengers using Nigerian airports in the year 2016 increased despite the fact that the country was experiencing recession

-The report says the airport to record the most activity, and accounted for 34.2% of domestic passengers, 69.1% of international passengers, 91.7% of cargo movement and 76.9% of mail movement

- This also comes despite the fact that several airlines had operational issues, and either cut back on services provided or stopped operations entirely

Despite recession, Nigeria’s airports recorded 15.2 million passengers in 2016 - NBS

Despite reccession, NBS says passengers using Nigerian airports in the year 2016 increased

NAIJ.com reports that this also comes despite the fact that several airlines had operational issues, and either cut back on services provided or stopped operations entirely.

Despite recession, Nigeria’s airports recorded 15.2 million passengers in 2016 - NBS

INFOGRAPHICS: Total number of passengers in 2016, Domestic and International

NBS in its release says: “However, despite the recession which may have been expected to reduce demand for travel, the number of passengers using most airports increased. The fall in output was likely to be more a reflection of increased costs of operations, rather than decreased demand.

READ ALSO: PDP crisis latest: Jonathan summons Sheriff, Makarfi to fresh peace meeting

“Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA) in Lagos was the airport to record the most activity, and accounted for 34.2% of domestic passengers, 69.1% of international passengers, 91.7% of cargo movement and 76.9% of mail movement.

Going further, NBS says: “In 2016, the total number of passengers to pass through Nigerian airports was 15,232,597. Of these, 72.0% were domestic passengers, travelling within Nigeria, and the remaining 28.0% were international, entering or leaving Nigeria. Between 2015 and 2016 the number of passengers recorded by the Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) has increased by 6.3%.

Despite recession, Nigeria’s airports recorded 15.2 million passengers in 2016 - NBS

INFOGRAPHICS: Domestic passengers by Main Airport, 2016 Q3 and Q4

READ ALSO: BREAKING: Court unfreezes Patience Jonathan's $5.9m account

“However, since the publication of the last report, FAAN has included data on passengers travelling through more airports, including Bauchi, Eket, Gombe and Uyo. Together, the newly included airports accounted for 667,877 passengers in 2016, or 4.4% of the total.

INFOGRAPHICS: Domestic/International split aircraft by airport, second half of 2016

INFOGRAPHICS: Domestic/International split aircraft by airport, second half of 2016

Meanwhile, in the video below by NAIJ.com, Muhammadu Sanusi II, Emir of Kano, in his key note address during the opening ceremony of Kaduna state's investment programme titled 'Promoting Investment Amidst Economic Challenges' blasts Nigerian leaders.

Watch the video:

Source: Naij.com

Related news
It is like comparing apples to paw paws – Garba Shehu lists why IPOB is more dangerous than herdsmen

It is like comparing apples to paw paws – Garba Shehu lists why IPOB is more dangerous than herdsmen

It is like comparing apples to paw paws – Garba Shehu lists why IPOB is more dangerous than herdsmen
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel