How to make Nkwobi soup? We often enjoy this traditional Nigerian delicacy in many exclusive restaurants. Continue reading to get to know the best recipe for Nkwobi soup.
This precise delicacy always stands out amongst other Nigerian foods. Traditionally, Nkwobi soup is a special dish of the Igbos ethnic group prepared at home. However, presently most Nigerian restaurants offer this appealing meal. Today Naij.com gives you the best Nkwobi soup recipe.
Ingredients for Nkwobi soup
- Two kilograms of cow foot
- 200 milliliters of palm oil
- One tablespoon of powdered potash (either Kaun or Akanwu)
- One teaspoon of ground Ehu seeds
- Two habanero peppers
- Two tablespoons of ground crayfish
- Two stock cubes
- One onion
Ingredients for garnish
- Two onions
- Ten Utazi leaves
Important notes on the ingredients
- Two kilograms of cow foot are mostly bones. Therefore, it will be quite a good portion for two adults.
- Cow foot might be tough. Consequently, a pressure cooker will help you to save both electricity and time while making the Nkwobi soup. Otherwise, you can also purchase a calf foot. It is softer, and it takes less time to prepare it.
READ ALSO: Amala and Ewedu soup recipe
- Ehu is a traditional ingredient for Nkwobi soup. However, it is very difficult to find outside Nigeria. Thus, if you failed to buy Ehu seeds, then cook this soup without it. The taste will be almost the same.
- Potash is the powerful ingredient, which makes the palm oil coagulate. You can also use Ngu as an alternative.
Preparatory work for Nkwobi soup
- You should chop cow foot into equal portions
- Put the potash into a big cup
- Add about four tablespoons of water and stir it carefully
- Set the bowl aside
- Cut one onion into four big portions
- Pound the pepper and blitz it
- Remove the shell of the Ehu seeds then grind and blend them
How to make Nkwobi soup?
- Put cow foot portions in a pot
- Add crushed stock cubes and onion
- Add some water. Cook your Nkwobi soup at medium heat. Please note that when the meat is done, there must not be any water in the pot.
READ ALSO: How to make shawarma?
- Pour in palm oil and potash into a jar, while the meat is cooking
- As you pour the potash, mix it with a wooden spatula. You will see the palm oil starts to coagulate and turns yellow
- Add the crayfish, Ehu seeds, and pepper. Mix them carefully until they are combined
- Add salt and cook until the water is dried
- Add the cow foot to the palm oil paste
- Mix it thoroughly using the wooden spatula
- Continue cooking until your Nkwobi soup is piping hot. Please note that you should mix it regularly so that your soup will not burn
How to make the garnish for Nigerian Nkwobi soup?
Cut the utazi into thin slices and cut onions into rings. Then add the onion rings and slices of utazi on top of Nkwobi soup for the best effect.
Watch the video below to see the full process of making a Nkwobi soup:
Now you have the best Nkwobi soup recipe. It is one of the most popular evening recipes in Nigeria. Please note that it is improper to eat this delicious meal in either morning or afternoon. In most Nigerian restaurants and bars, Nkwobi soup is served alone with various drinks. Gourmets say that Nkwobi soup is best served with chilled beverages. These are beer, palm wine, or stout.