Editor's note: The issue of arbitrary school fees increment by Nigerian higher institutions has been criticised and debated by stakeholders in the education sectors. Although, some believe that for people to have qualitative and sound education, they must pay hugely for it. But others have faulted this position, saying that it is the responsibility of the government to provide free education from primary to tertiary institution.
Recently, the management of the University of Jos announced the new increment in the school fees from N27, 000 to N45, 000 and this has thus generated controversy among the students.
In this article, a Facebook user, Jeremiah Emmanuel shared the resolution reached by the SUG and some other stakeholders over the increment and the need for the institution’s authority to reverse the fees.
We bring salubrious greetings in the name of the struggle
1. We the entire members of the Students Union Government University of Jos chapter wish to sincerely appreciate all Great Jossites for their support, understanding, maturity, prayers and solidarity reposed on the SUG especially yesterday the 17th of March 2017.
This shows true unionism and solidarity which is needed to drive our union stronger and united. We say thank you.
2. Sequel to the meeting y held on March, 18 by all peace loving and concerned stakeholders of both the university and the union, the following resolutions were reached:
A. The entire students’ body, the faculty and department presidents as well as members of the SUG (excos and parliamentarians) agreed to say no to 45k school charges.
B. Also warned that any student who goes ahead to pay #45,000 for the coming session, do this at his/her own detriment.
C. Students were advised to continue the social media campaign with the Hashtag #SAYNOTO45k.
3. However, the SUG after the end of the meeting sent a letter to the Vice Chancellor containing demands for a meeting and clarity on the issue. This is a conscious attempt to create more room for negotiations as we believe in dialogue as the best way for conflict resolution.
4. Students are hereby enjoined to keep the campaign going while remaining calm, peaceful and law abiding citizens in the society. And also, continue to encourage each other. Publication on all union activities in regards to this struggle will be made known to all Jossites accurately and timely.
5. The SUG is also calling on all education loving Nigerian students, especially Great Jossites to please join the movement on social media and preach the gospel as well as suggest reasonable resolves that would aid the union reach better and favourable grounds for all students.
6. Remember, the SUG is a body of students, duly elected by students, for students to defend students’ interest, please keep showing love and solidarity to the union leaders as well as speak well of the union.
PAY ATTENTION: Nigeria News NAIJ.com - Android Apps on Google Play
7. Though an official query was served to the SUG President, Comrade Sidney S Daman from the office of the Vice Chancellor for calling yesterday meeting, he remains resolute in the fight to keep our fees at #27,400.
7. "Our solidarity should always remain solid and never gaseous"-Comrade Sidney S Daman.
The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the editorial policy of NAIJ.com.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at email@example.com — drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Naij.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.
Contact us if you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or compliments. We are also available on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to Naij.com Opinion page!