- The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has opted for political solution to end crisis
- This was the position of the PDP national reconciliation committee
- The committee made its position known after a meeting on Thursday, March 2
The national reconciliation committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has taken a stand on the party's protracted crisis.
The committee headed by Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa state stated that the only way to end the PDP's crisis is through political solutions.
The committee made its position known after a meeting on Thursday, March 2 in Abuja attended by national assembly members and former leaders of the party.
The committee reviewed recent developments in the party and decided as follows:
1. That a political solution is the best option for the protracted crises in the party.
2. Endorses the resolution of the meeting between the former President of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and PDP state governors in this regard without prejudice to the ongoing judicial processes.
3. That as part of this process, it is imperative that an early convention within the second quarter of 2017 should be held in Abuja which therefore should be all inclusive and where new national officials of the party will be freely, fairly and transparently elected.
4. In furtherance of this, the reconciliation committee shall embark on extensive consultations with all stakeholders with a view of building confidence and necessary consensus toward the unity convention
5. The committee appeals to all party leaders, and members of our great party to exercise restraint and focus on the loyalty to and the overall interest of the party.
Meanwhile, despite its internal crisis, the PDP recorded massive victories in recent elections in Gombe, Taraba and Rivers states.