Ahead of the 2019 general election, the Young Democratic Party (YDP) has elected its first female national chairman, Barrister Aye Georgina Dakpokpo.
With her emergence, Barrister Dakpokpo is now the first female national chairman of a political party in Nigeria.
A statement by the emerging party said she was elected on Saturday, February 11, 2017 at the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, during the party’s convention.
“The highlights of the convention which saw Barrister Aye Georgina Dakpokpo emerge as National chairperson is a testimony that YDP is on the path to set the pace in the political landscape of our dear nation, Nigeria,” the party said in a statement made available to NAIJ.com.
The party named the national president of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), Alhaji Yerima Shettima, as the deputy national chairman.
Other national executive members of the party are:
1. Bolaji Oni - National Secretary
2. Habib Gajo - Deputy National Secretary
3. Ugo Nwofor - National Legal Adviser
4. Muazu Kawu- National Financial Secretary
5. Adex Adetula - National Treasurer
6. R Ibrahim Jauro - National Auditor
7. Nkem Nze - National Technical Adviser
8. Chief Egbe Akparakwu - National Organising Secretary
9. Rose Idua - National Woman Leader
10. Abdullahi Dauda - National Youth Leader
11.Mustapha Rabiu - National Welfare Adviser
12. Grace Dafiel - National Government Liason Officer
13. Khairat Animashaun-Ajiboye - National Publicity Secretary
The YDP said delegates and members came from all the geo-political zones of the country to participate in the exercise.
“The entire convention held under the critical glare of relevant INEC officials led by the director election and party monitoring,” the party said adding that the event also provided the opportunity to unveil its constitution and new logo as well as the inauguration of its board of trustees.