Angry residents of Ondo state have reportedly attacked the out-going governor of Ondo state, Olusegun Mimiko.
The hoodlums, it was learnt, destroyed two vehicles in the convoy of the governor and prevented him from presenting the state’s 2017 budget at the House of Assembly.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the governor was forced to postpone the presentation of the budget, especially as the protest became violent.
Some of the protesters reportedly sustained serious injury in the pandemonium that followed a clash with security agents.
The protest started on Wednesday, February 1 with the angry residents of the state claiming the out-going governor was planning to sponsor 38 bills and ensure that the bills were passed into law before his tenure expired on February 23, 2017.
The report said once the protesters sighted the governor’s convoy on the road leading to the House of Assembly, they began to throw stones and other objects.
It was learnt that the leader of the protesters, Mr Saka Yusuf-Ogunleye, condemned the action of the police in dispersing them, saying that the protest was not a violent one.
He said: “We don’t know why there is this issue of sporadic shooting by the police in a peaceful protest.
“It is uncalled for, and we are calling on the Inspector General of Police, well-meaning Nigerians and citizens of Ondo State to look into the matter.
“What we are protesting for is to tell our people that the governor is bringing a bill that will bring untold hardship to the people of the state. We are not violent with it.”
The spokesperson of the police in the state, Mr Femi Joseph, confirmed the incident adding that the protesters had been dispersed.
“Some of them attacked the convoy of the governor; about two vehicles in the convoy were damaged by the protesters.
“We initially allowed them to protest peacefully, we also appealed to them to be peaceful but when they started barricading the road throwing stones at the governor’s convoy, we have to disperse them,” he said.