Rice made from plastic is often called Chinese rice because it is manufactured there. Many people think that such a product should not be consumed because of its artificial nature. According to some sources, it is very easy to distinguish plastic rice from the ordinary one after cooking. This article will give you top six methods on how to identify plastic rice from the ordinary one.
Plastic rice is often titled a fake rice. A few people know that this product is manufactured from broken rice. Producers often add other cereals to it. Moreover, rice made from plastic is often stimulated with micronutrients, vitamins A, B, and such minerals as zinc iron.
Plastic rice problem in Nigeria
In December 2016, the “plastic rice” saga spread across Nigeria. It happened after the Nigeria Customs Service intercepted 2.5 tons of Chinese plastic rice. It was branded as “Beat Tomato Rice’’ without any manufacture date.
According to several reports from Nigerian officials, some China manufacturers produced fake rice and mixed it with plastic for delivering to African countries counting Nigeria. After it, Nigerians have immediately raised the alarm of possible flooding of the county market with the artificial rice.
To ensure that you do not become a victim of the harmful product, there are some reliable ways of how to identify plastic rice. According to Emmie Shield, the expert in rice, the plastic rice always stays hard after cooking. Therefore, it can lead to severe health problems.
How to identify plastic rice?
To identify plastic rice from the ordinary one, you need to carry put the following tests:
- Boiling test. When you are boiling the rice, observe it carefully. If it begins to form a thick layer at the top of your saucepan, then it is a straight sign of plastic rice.
- Water test. Take a glass of cold water and pour a tablespoon of raw rice in it. Then mix it thoroughly. You will immediately know that you have an ordinary rice if it falls on the bottom. At the same time, plastic rice will stay on the top.
- Pound test. Pound a few grains of your rice with the help of a pestle and mortar. Then look at the color of the powder. If it has a white color, then you deal with an ordinary rice. If the color is yellow, then it is a fake rice.
- Fire test. Take a bit of rice and burn it with a lighter. Fake rice will always smell like burnt plastic.
- Hot oil test. Boil some oil and drop some rice into it. Plastic rice will always stick at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Mold test. Boil a handful of rice. Put it for two or three days in a warm place. If there is no mold during that time, your rice is definitely fake. The reason is very simple: neither temperature nor weather affects the plastic.
Now you know the best ways to identify plastic rice from the ordinary one. This useful knowledge will surely help you to distinguish fake rice and save your health. If you know other ways of identifying plastic rice, please share them with us in the comment below.