The capital city of Borno state, Maiduguri, is under attack from insurgents believed to be members of the extremist Boko Haram sect.
According to residents, two thunderous explosions, suspected to be from detonated bombs, were heard in the city at about 6.15 p.m. on March 1, 2014, Saturday. Then the third explosion was reported, but it has not been officially confirmed.
Terrorists in two vans, pretending to be firewood suppliers, detonated the bombs at a densely populated Ajilari ward, Jere Council area of Maiduguri, near Ngomari-Bulumkutu.
Yesterday The Commissioner of Police in Borno, Alhaji Lawal Tanko, confirmed the blasts. Tanko said 35 bodies had been evacuated:
“We are still counting. So far, we have counted 35 bodies. Our men are still working with rescue workers at the scene.”
However, another reports reaching NAIJ.com said that about 67 people died in Ajilari, Maiduguri, as the result of the explosions and that security operatives have cordoned off the area.Continue reading